- Stay in the Know
- Community Meetings & Workshops
- Gulf Winds Drive
Gulf Winds Drive
Design Update and Community Meeting
The City of St. Pete Beach recently completed the installation of new sanitary sewer pipes under Gulf Winds Dr. The complete re-paving from Gulf Blvd to 75th Ave is currently being planned and the City has a unique opportunity to expand and install new amenities on the roadway. In the initial design survey, residents favored narrowed drive lanes, on-street bike lanes, and an 8ft wide sidewalk on the west side of Gulf Winds Dr.
In March 2022 the City met with community residents to review the design at 30% completion. We had a good meeting and have incorporated many of the residents’ suggested changes. These include raised intersections at select locations, crosswalk markings wherever possible, enhanced landscaping from Gulf Blvd to 64th Ave, and decorative street signs. The mini roundabout at 64th and Gulf Winds Dr and the reworking of the intersection at 71st and Gulf Winds Dr were both removed from the project based on resident objections.
The project design has now progressed to 60%, and the City hosted an additional community meeting to update residents and receive any final feedback on the project. At the meeting, the following proposed designs and project elements were discussed:
- The narrowing of drive lanes from Gulf Blvd to 64th Ave to accommodate sidewalks on both sides and on-street sharrow markings. On-street parking will remain.
- Raised intersections at 64th Ave, 67th Ave, Bay St, and 73rd Ave have been added to the design
- 5ft Bike lanes will be added from 64th Ave to 73rd Ave
- Storm water drainage will be improved with the repaving
- Landscaping plans are currently being discussed
If you have any questions regarding the designs or project, please contact Mike Clark at email@example.com.
Workshop Media Resources
- Watch Presentation held on July 7, 2022 at Community Center (video)
- Gulf Winds Drive 60% Design Plans (PDF)
A second Gulf Winds Drive public meeting was hosted by the City on March 1, 2022. At this meeting, the City presented updates to the public regarding the preliminary roadway improvements to address concerns about speeding vehicles, pedestrian/cyclist safety, and other traffic concerns. The main discussion points brought up during the meeting include:
- Bicyclist and pedestrian safety a top public priority
- Mini-roundabout at 64th Avenue and Gulf Winds Drive was not strongly supported
- Sidewalk connectivity to Gulf Blvd from 64th Avenue and the Palm Point neighborhood was requested.
- Multimodal connectivity to the proposed Corey Landings area at the east end of Corey Avenue was requested.
A recording from the meeting is included below for those that wish to watch the meeting in its entirety. A copy of the presented materials is also included below.
Workshop Media Resources
- Watch Presentation held on March 1, 2022 at Community Center (video)
- Gulf Winds Drive 30% Percent Design Plans (PDF)
A Gulf Winds Drive public meeting was hosted by the City on August 26, 2021. As discussed at the meeting, the City’s project to install a new sanitary sewer pipe under Gulf Winds Dr has been completed and re-paving is being planned. The City was seeking input from the neighborhood regarding roadway safety improvements to the street to address concerns about speeding vehicles, pedestrian/cyclist safety, and other traffic concerns.
Based on the feedback received, the consensus of the neighborhood group included the following items:
- 6ft sidewalk with a large landscape buffer on the West side of Gulf Winds Dr
- Separate 5ft Bike Lanes (on street)
- Narrowing the vehicle travel lanes to 10ft to reduce speeding
- Adding speed tables and/or raised intersections where feasible
- Preserving on street parking on Gulf Winds Dr between 64th Ave and Gulf Blvd
This letter has been delivered to all residents living directly on Gulf Winds Dr. The window to submit comments will be open until October 22, 2021. If the City does not receive any additional feedback it will assume the community is accepting of the proposed concepts (listed above) and will move forward with a design proposal to the City Commission to commence work.
Should you have any further questions or comments regarding the Gulf Winds Dr repaving project, please contact the Community Development Department at (727) 363-9213 or email firstname.lastname@example.org