- Parking & Transportation
- Traffic Calming Devices
Traffic Calming Devices
At times, residents of St. Pete Beach may wish to have speed humps installed on their residential streets. If you believe that your streets has a significant issue with speeding or dangerous driving habits, and you wish to have a speed hump installed, please see the below information on how petition the City to do so.
Speed humps will be considered, on a case-by-case basis, and only on local residential streets which meet the following:
- The street must be a local residential street.
- The street shall not have more than one traffic lane in each direction.
- The street must be at least 750 feet long, with no intersecting roadways in between.
- The street is posted at or has a speed limit of 30 MPH or less.
- 2/3 of the property owners of the block(s) shall concur with the installation of the speed hump.
Additionally, the City will evaluate the following when reviewing a request for a speed hump or other traffic calming device:
- The traffic engineering study has determined that the 85th percentile speed on the street is at least 10MPH over the speed limit.
- The speed humps will not be considered within 250 feet of a traffic signal, within 50 feet of an intersection, in front of a driveway, within an intersection or adjacent to fire hydrants.
- The speed humps will not be considered in, or on the approaches, to a horizontal or a vertical curve where visibility of the hump is restricted.
- The street should not be located along a primary emergency response route, Regional Transit or school bus route and must be approved by the respective agencies for the installation of speed humps.
- Installation of these devices shall not cause the traffic to divert to other neighborhood streets.
- 100% concurrence from the residents and/or property owner immediately adjacent to the proposed speed humps.
If you wish to begin the process of petitioning the City for a speed hump on your street, please email Alaina Grundy - email@example.com - or fill out the form below.